1704 & 1741 Church Covenants Associated with Skinner Street Congregational Chapel

< Return to previous search results

The covenants were adopted by the membership of the Great Presbyterian Meeting House, Hill Street, Poole and both arose from divisive disputes.

The first concerned church governance, the authority to appoint the minister, in particular. It was a key factor in a secession of members from St. James’ Church, resulting in the formation of the Hill Street meeting house.

The second arose from theological differences, which contributed to an unknown number of members leaving in 1739 and later the same issues resulted in a large number leaving to set up the Lagland Street Congregational Chapel, the predecessor of the Skinner Street Congregational Chapel (founded in 1760 and 1777 respectively). SSCC

Format: 
Fact file
Attachment:Size
SSCC 1704 & 1741 Church Covenants.pdfSSCC 1704 & 1741 Church Covenants.pdf155.59 KB

Categories:


Last updated on 27 Apr 2019 - 14:31

Contact us about this item

If you have further information about this item, or would like to suggest a correction please complete the update request form