People

Showing results 71 to 80 of 4704
"Winston C"
photograph

"Winston C"

Museum Ref No: Batting/Box 14/Unlabelled box 2/No. 11
Cruiser "Winston C" and 3 crew. (Batting photograph)
Photograph
"Wooden Schooner"
photograph

"Wooden Schooner"

Museum Ref No: Bristowe2_134
The "Wooden Schooner" moored at Poole Quay in 1920 with an unidentified family posing alongside. Wessex shipyard can be seen behind. From the Ernest Bristowe collection.
Photograph
'Hopsital Island', Bathing Place; Baiter
map

'Hopsital Island', Bathing Place; Baiter

Museum Ref No: VM_XLIV.13_BathingPlace
Hosppital Island and Bathing Place, west end of Baiter Park nr junction with Furnell Road. Detail of Ordnance Survey Dorset Sheet XLIV.13 scale 1:2500 1900 revision with valuation annotations AC
Map
factfile

1704 & 1741 Church Covenants Associated with Skinner Street Congregational Chapel

The covenants were adopted by the membership of the Great Presbyterian Meeting House, Hill Street, Poole and both arose from divisive disputes. The first concerned church governance, the authority to appoint the minister, in particular. It was a key factor in a secession of members from St. James’ Church, resulting in the formation of the Hill Street meeting house. The second arose from theological differences, which contributed to an unknown number of members leaving in 1739 and later the same issues resulted in a large number leaving to set up the Lagland Street Congregational Chapel, the predecessor of the Skinner Street Congregational Chapel (founded in 1760 and 1777 respectively). SSCC
Factfile
factfile

1760 Constitution of Lagland Street Congregational Chapel

Densham & Ogle, the authors of The Congregational Churches of Dorset (1899) quoted the whole constitution in their book, mentioning that the original was stored in the Skinner Street Congregational Chapel safe. However, when the church archive was catalogued in early 2019, it was not found and is therefore assumed to be lost to posterity. SSCC
Factfile
factfile

1765 Letter from Rev. Samuel Philipps to Mr. Martin Kemp

This letter reveals the acrimonious ending to Rev. Philipps’ ministry, which had spanned a total of 12 years of ministry, first in Hill Street and later in Lagland Street, Poole (1753 – 1765). In the seventh year of his ministry (1760), he was ejected from the Great Presbyterian Meeting House, Hill Street, Poole, but he continued his ministry in the newly founded Congregational Chapel in Lagland Street, to which many members from Hill Street seceded with him. Readers may be interested in the footnotes, which give more details about the circumstances surrounding the letter.
Factfile
factfile

1777 Certificate for Worship - Skinner Street Congregational Chapel

This is the certificate for worship issued for the newly built 1777 Skinner Street Congregational Church, Poole. SSCC
Factfile
factfile

1798 Militia List

Transcript of Poole Militia list in 1798.
Factfile
1936 Carnival
newspaper

1936 Carnival

Museum Ref No: PPS080736p1

Photograph of the crowning of the Carnival Queen by Miss Vera Sherburn, taken from Poole and Parkstone Standard, 8th July 1936


Newspaper
1st Lilliput Sea Scouts parading
photograph

1st Lilliput Sea Scouts parading

Les Hayward proudly leading the 1st Lilliput Sea Scouts in a Sunday church parade c.1955. The flag is being carried by Mike (Lucky) Lack with Russel (Rusty) Glenister to his right. Photo courtesy of Russel Glenister.
Photograph